2024 NFL season preview: Top offseason storylines, plus five teams to watch, including Texans, Packers, Jets
Super Bowl LVIII is in the rearview mirror, and so is the 2023 NFL season. As the Kansas City Chiefs celebrate their latest championship, the rest of the league is hard at work trying to knock down their foundation and lift themselves the Lombardi Trophy. Over the next few months, major milestones of the roster building process will take place, including free agency and the 2024 NFL Draft.
As you can imagine, the offseason is filled with many twists and turns and by the time we start the 2024 regular season, some teams could look completely different. In that spirit, we’re going to give our first look at the offseason by highlighting a handful of top stories as well as some of the teams that could make some of the strongest moves in the coming months. We’ll also take a look at who are currently the favorites to win Super Bowl LIX.
Top five offseason stories
1. What do the Bears do with the No. 1 overall pick? Arguably the most interesting story to follow this season is what the Chicago Bears do with the top pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. They found themselves in this situation a year ago and ended up trading the pick to Carolina for financial resources. Do they follow the same course of action this time or do they pick with a generational talent like USC quarterback Caleb Williams sitting at the top of most draft boards? If they do, how will that affect Justin Fields?
2. Does Stefon Diggs want a trade? The NFL offseason is usually good for at least one trade that falls through. Could that happen in Orchard Park? All-Pro wide receiver Stefon Diggs has been enduring a tumultuous month year with the Buffalo Bills and even. If he is unhappy with his situation, all eyes would then focus on the possibility of him asking outside the city.
3. Where do the veterans’ acting quarters land? As is the case with every offseason, the quarterback move will be the main narrative. This cycle features a number of callers who may be changing uniforms over the coming months. Kirk Cousins, Baker Mayfield and Ryan Tannehill are expected to be free agents, and the likes of Fields, Russell Wilson and Mac Jones could all be put on the trade block.
4. How will the Bengals handle the wide receiver position? Cincinnati is a team to watch this offseason as they are able to retool and become a legitimate Super Bowl contender in 2024 after an injury-riddled season in 2023. Notably, the wide receiver position is important for the Bengals. Superstar Ja’Marr Chase is eligible for an extension this season and could receive a contract that makes him the highest-paid player at his position. In addition to Chase, fellow receivers Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd are set to enter unrestricted free agency. The Bengals have $61.3 million in cap space to play with this season, but it will be interesting to see how they use those resources and who they prioritize.
5. Still struggling to find lucrative deals? One of the biggest storylines of last season was the running back position not being able to find lucrative deals on the free agent market. Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley and Tony Pollard played on the franchise tag (or a revised version of the one-year offer) in 2023. Now, this back crop is ready to meet again at the negotiating table and it will be there. curious to see if anything has changed from the front office’s perspective on giving them longer contracts. In addition to those three, Derrick Henry and Austin Ekeler are expected to hit the open market.
Five teams to watch
Here are the top 10 odds to win Super Bowl LIX (odds via DraftKings Sportsbook).
- San Francisco 49 youth (+550)
- Kansas City Chiefs (+650)
- Baltimore Ravens (+900)
- Buffalo Bills (+950)
- Detroit Lions (+1200)
- Cincinnati Bengals (+1200)
- Miami Dolphins (+1700)
- Philadelphia Eagles (+2000)
- Green Bay Packers (+2000)
- Dallas Cowboys (+2000)
To see the whole,.