Amazon, Meta and Google buy more clean energy than any other company

0 11

Google’s headquarters are seen in Mountain View, California, United States on September 26, 2022.

Coskun Tayfun | Anadolu Group | Getty Images

Technology companies are leading the charge for companies buying wind and solar power.

AmazonFacebook’s parent company Metaand Google, which is owned by a parent company Alphabetare the top three corporate buyers of wind and solar energy, according to a report released Wednesday from the American Clean Energy Association, an industry group.

Amazon had contracted 12.4 gigawatts of clean wind and solar energy in the United States through September 2022, while Meta had contracted 8.7 gigawatts and Google had contracted 6.2 gigawatts, according to the report.

These supply numbers are from the first time these companies announced they were buying wind and solar power last decade.

The technology sector certainly outpaces other industries in purchasing clean energy, but it has been increasing across all industries. From 2012 to 2022, the amount of wind and solar energy purchased by companies has increased by an average of 73 percent annually. It passed 1 gigawatt in 2015, 8 gigawatts in 2018, and almost 20 gigawatts last year.

Wind and solar power acquired by companies each year, according to the American Clean Energy Association, an industry group.

American Clean Energy Association

The revolution is not just driven by a desire to save the world from climate change. The price of clean energy has been falling steadily. In the last ten years, the cost has fallen by 71 percent and 47 percent, respectively, according to the report.

The technology sector is a clear leader when it comes to buying clean energy, and has contracted 48 percent of wind and solar power. The energy, telecommunications and food and beverage sectors are the next largest corporate buyers and have contracted 9, 8 and 7 percent of the total wind and solar contracts, respectively.

Total wind and solar power contracted by industry, according to the American Clean Energy Association, an industry group.

American Clean Energy Association

In total, 326 companies maintained 77.4 gigawatts of wind and solar energy by the end of 2022, which is enough energy to power more than a thousand data centers or 18 million American homes.

Of the 77 plus gigawatts of wind and solar power contracted, 36 gigawatts or 47 percent are currently operational, meaning more than half are still under development. The time it takes from a company buying wind or solar power and the project online depends, but most of the projects that come online are expected to come online within the next three years. ahead, a spokesperson for American Clean Power told CNBC.

Companies represent a significant part of the overall wind and solar landscape: 16 percent of wind and solar energy has been transferred to corporations by the end of 2022. The remaining 84 percent goes to other energy buyers, such as utility companies.

As companies increase their purchases of wind and solar power, Texas is benefiting more than any other state. Companies have purchased clean energy from 540 projects in 49 states, Washington DC and Puerto Rico, but 35% of contracted capacity purchased by companies comes from Texas, the report found.

How Google is reducing the carbon footprint of its large data centers
Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.