B5 Claims Diddy Didn’t Return Publishing Rights (Video)
Members of the B5 insisting that they were not part of the Bad Boy artists who recently received their publishing rights from the label’s founder, Diddy. As The Shade Room previously reported, the 54-year-old detailed his decision to “reassign” the rights to his former artists in September.
RELATED: Diddy Details ‘Right And Public’ Decision To ‘Reassign’ Publishing Rights To Bad Boy Artists And Writers
B5 Claims They Didn’t Get “Reassigned” Publishing Rights From Diddy
The members of B5 appeared as guests on an episode of the ‘We In Miami Podcast’ that was released on Monday, November 13. During the conversation, the host said, “Diddy was in the news for his decision to return publishing rights to artists Bad Boy.”
Then, the host asked if B5 “benefited” from Diddy’s decision.
“That’s a debate,” Dustin Breeding said before his brother Carnell Breeding joined in. “We didn’t hear anything, we didn’t get a call [or] nothing like that, oh.”
Dustin Breeding then spoke directly to the camera again.
“Puff – Diddy, yeah, we all want our exposure too.”
As the conversation went on, Breeding reflected on the group’s experience working with Diddy. According to Apple Music, the group’s self-titled album was released under Bad Boy in 2005, and their last album, ‘Don’t Talk, Just Listen,’ was released under the label in 2007.
Speaking exclusively to YouKnowIGotSoul.com in 2013, the group said they had “parted ways” with Bad Boy. However, they did not reveal the year they left the label.
“We were so young at the time; we didn’t understand the business about it, but, you know, now looking back, it’s like, ‘Damn, why didn’t we have our names on the credits?… Where were the percentages? ? Where is the pub. [publishing] at?” Dustin Breeding explained.
The group said in the end that they did not regret parting with Bad Boy.
“We couldn’t see eye to eye, so we decided to separate,” explained Patrick Breeding.
Social media responses
Social media users took to The Shade Room’s comment section for their thoughts on the group’s allegations.
Instagram user @dafrican1 joked.
“Diddy said it’s gon B5 more years till you get it back 😂😂😂😂😂”
While another user, @imitationbyjerell explained.
“Their biggest hit was a remake (and I use that term loosely). So the original writings have to get their royalties back first…then they have to pour what’s left in 5+ ways…sorry, it’s not money.”
Instagram user @basquiatbebe apparently disagreed with the above stance.
“You like to believe black artists. A song one or not. The little boys did a song that will ALWAYS be sung at the top of their lungs. They ran the bottom of one song tf”
While Instagram user @jessvcagabrvelle_ added.
“I’m so glad their voices are being heard. they did so dirty”
Diddy previously explained his decision to return publishing rights to Bad Boy artists
As The Shade Room previously reported, Diddy detailed his decision to “reassign” publishing rights to Bad Boy artists in September. The music mogul spoke exclusively to Billboard and said that he started the process in 2021.
“I decided to fully reassign publishing rights [Bad Boy] catalog in May or June 2021. The news is just coming out because it took time to finalize everything…” Diddy told the outlet at the time.
As for why the mogul made the decision, Diddy explained that he “felt like it was the right and obvious thing to do. “
“It was just the right and obvious thing to do; something I’m proud to have done,” explained the 54-year-old. “As a businessman, there comes a time when you have to choose purpose over profit. I’m glad I’ve seen both sides. As a businessman, I have evolved and was blessed to be able to bring back the publication.”
STORIES: City Girl Council! Yung Miami shares ‘How to bag’ a man like Diddy