CDC reports 22 children sickened after eating lead-laced applesauce

0 4

22 children in 14 states have reportedly become ill after eating apple pomace “contaminated” with lead. According to AP News, the CDC issued a health warning for parents and doctors on Monday, November 13.

RELATED: Drug-resistant bacteria linked to eye drops lead to infection, vision loss and many deaths, CDC reports

More details regarding the CDC Report & Results Affected

According to the CDC, several states have reported cases to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) linking “high blood lead levels” to children who ate “apple products containing cinnamon.”

The FDA reports that the affected apple products include “recalled WanaBana apple cinnamon fruit puree packs, recalled Schnucks cinnamon flavored apple packs and mix pack and sauce dips Weis-brand Cinnamon Apples Recalled.”

More information about affected children & their symptoms

According to AP News, 22 children have been sickened by the lead-laced applesauce so far. The outbreak reports that children between the ages of 1-3.

The FDA reports that children affected by lead poisoning may not have “immediately obvious symptoms.” However, short-term exposure to lead can lead to symptoms such as headache, vomiting, abdominal pain/colic, and anemia in children.

Long-term exposure can lead to muscle pain, burning or weakness, constipation, tremors, and even weight loss, among other symptoms.

The CDC says that the effects of lead poisoning in children “may continue into adulthood.”

More details regarding Affected States & What Parents Should Do Next

According to the CDC, the 22 reported cases come from 14 states.

“Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Missouri, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington,” the CDC’s official website reads as the 14 all in all.

In addition, AP News notes that the affected apple products were sold in the store and online. The FDA says consumers should not “eat, sell, or serve” the WanaBana, Schnucks, or Weis apple wraps but instead “discard them immediately.”

The FDA also recommends that consumers check their homes thoroughly for these products because they may have been stored away due to their longer shelf life.

In addition, the FDA recommends that parents who suspect their children may have consumed the affected products take them to a medical professional for a blood test. The association also urges parents to call a doctor immediately if their children show signs of “lead poisoning.”

The association said, “updates to this advice will be provided as they become available.”

BREAKING: FDA approves the nation’s first over-the-counter birth control pill

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.