Grandparents charged with killing 5-year-old for self-immolation

0 6

The mother of a five-year-old girl who was allegedly beaten to death by her grandparents for crying out for herself has spoken out about the case for the first time since the crime took place in Chicago earlier this month. Fox 32 reports.

Kimberly Elwoodsmother to Jada Moorecalled her own father, Klent Elwoods, a “monster” for the alleged July 14 crime.

RELATED: Teen’s Mom Charged After Reportedly Giving 9-Month-Old Baby Bottle of Fentanyl-Laced

‘I look at him like a monster’ Mother of dead 5-year-old girl says of her own father

Klent Elwoods reportedly admitted to whipping his 5-year-old granddaughter with a belt a dozen times for losing her temper, according to NBC Chicago.

“I’m all out of tears. I look at him as a monster. I don’t even want to carry his last name anymore,” Kimberly told the outlet.

Klent Elwoods and his wife, Lisa Jonesaccused of murdering Moore last Friday, per ABC 7 Chicago. They face life in prison if convicted.

On Monday, prosecutors in Illinois revealed shocking details about Moore’s death. They said she was physically beaten for more than two months before her death.

The beatings were reportedly prompted by several instances of the girl hurting herself, according to the outlet.

Child’s injuries sustained by car accident victim, grandparent chilling 911 call played in court

NBC News reports that Jada was more regularly injured by car accident victims than those involved in physical abuse.

Klent Elwoods’ chilling 911 call was also played in court, where he can be heard admitting that he was “beating my little grandson. “

“I was beating my little granddaughter, and now she’s out of it,” he said.

Responding officers arrived to find Jada “lying on the bed completely naked,” according to NBC Chicago. Elwoods reportedly said he was “a little too rough with my grandmother” while in the back of a police cruiser.

Paramedics attempted to revive her with CPR before rushing the girl to nearby Corner Children’s Hospital. She was pronounced dead there shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday, the service reports.

Mother gave custody of young daughter to grandparents after falling on hard times

Elwoods and Jones reportedly began dating Jada after visiting her and her mother, Kimberly, in Georgia in March.

Kim told her parents that she had “fallen on hard times” and needed them to watch her grandson while she got back on her feet, NBC Chicago reports.

Officers eventually executed a search warrant on the Elwoods and Jones’ suburban Chicago home.

They reportedly found a belt and a pair of children’s shorts with dirty underwear, according to FOX 32. Investigators also found a notarized letter from the girl’s mother giving them custody of Jada.

“I thought he was a stand-up guy. And it really is a monster,” she told ABC 7 Chicago. “I loved my daughter very much. I loved her. And I want her to know that even up there she is loved.”

Judge Denies Bond for Grandparents, GoFundMe Set Up, Vigil Held in Jada’s Honor

Meanwhile, a judge has denied Klent Elwoods and Lisa Jones’ relationship. Both are due back in court on August 2, according to ABC 7.

Since then Kimberly has GoFundMe account to raise money to bring Jada’s body from Chicago back to Georgia. As of the publication of this article, the fundraiser has raised $2,600 out of a $10,000 goal.

Those interested in donating to Kimberly’s GoFundMe can do so here.

A vigil for Jada took place outside her grandparents’ home on Thursday (July 20), per FOX 32.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.