While the SAG-AFTRA strike may be over, the conversation about actors getting paid for their old shows on streaming platforms isn’t going away.
On Tuesday, Jake Johnson shared his thoughts on the subject in an interview with Rolling Stone. Jake, who was promoting his new movie Self-reliance which he directed, he was asked by the publication if the team of New Girl he got streams left.
“No. No, we’re not,” the actor said before explaining his “mixed” feelings about what remains and the acting opportunities after starring in a hit TV show, as New Girl.
New Girl it ended a successful seven-season run in 2018. The show received five Emmy and five Golden Globe nominations and was named a staple in the years following its run. For a while, old seasons of the show streamed on Netflix. Currently, the show is no longer on Netflix but is available to stream on Peacock and Hulu.
Jake noted to Rolling Stone that “the game has changed so fundamentally” when it comes to the finances of being a star in a hit TV show.
“Back in the day, if you did a big TV show and everyone knew you, it was really hard to get other roles. Now, if you haven’t done a big show that people know about you, it’s really hard to do. get positions,” he said, noting that New Girlthe success influenced his paypartial Stumptown.
“So, I can do a so-called show Stumptown for two seasons – we only filmed one, but we got paid for two because it was a pandemic killer – but because New Girl, they are willing to pay me a large fee to be on it to try to connect to that show. That New Girl I don’t get that,” he said.
“We don’t get the leftovers like we used to, but there are so many other opportunities now,” he continued. “I feel a bit mixed. I wish we could still get those old reviews, but they don’t advertise on those shows like they used to. a new contract helps with that.”
Jake isn’t the first celebrity to say they don’t get paid after appearing in hit shows. During the SAG-AFTRA strike, Mandy Moore told The Hollywood Reporter that she received “very little, like 81-percent checks” for This is us remains
She clarified her comments on Instagram, saying in part, “I fully acknowledge the extremely fortunate and rare position I am in as an actor at this time, one that I do not take for granted and one that I don’t accept either. Ours is an undivided business and in my 20+ years of being an actor, my career has ebbed and flowed. when in years past, actors could rely on leftovers from past work to help them recover. The world and business have changed, and I hope we can find a meaningful solution moving forward.”
SAG-AFTRA ended the strike last month after a tentative agreement with the Motion Picture and Television Producers Alliance. Union members are currently voting on the contract, and voting is expected to end on Tuesday.