Photos: South Korea beat Australia 2-1 to reach semi-finals | Football News

0 3

South Korea progressed to the semi-finals of the Asian Cup with a 2-1 comeback win over Australia in extra time at the Al Janoub Stadium, after Son Heung-min scored the winner with the kick of the – free sublime.

Australia had beaten South Korea by the same score in extra time in the 2015 final to lift their first Asian Cup. But in Friday’s match, it was the East Asian side who came out on top after scoring another goal in stoppage time to force extra time.

Australia had taken the lead just before half-time when they cleverly turned their flanks with quick passes in the box. Then, Australian winger Nathaniel Atkinson found his teammate Craig Goodwin, who had time to set himself up for a successful volley into the bottom corner.

Striker Martin Boyle could have made it 2-0 when he met a cross in the box, but goalkeeper Jo Hyeon-woo made two saves to deny them. Meanwhile, Duke Mitchell’s volley from the rebound went over the bar to give South Korea relief.

South Korean coach Juergen Klinsmann made a tactical change in the second half, pushing Son further forward. The strategy worked when Tottenham Hotspur forward Son was fouled in the box by Australia’s Lewis Miller in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

Hwang Hee-chan stepped up: The Wolverhampton Wanderers striker took time to settle his nerves before curling his effort into the top corner to force extra time – their fourth goal after the 90th minute of the competition.

It was the second game in a row for South Korea to go to extra time, after they beat Saudi Arabia on penalties. This time, Hwang won a free kick on the edge of the box from a foul which Miller again conceded.

Mac stepped up and saw his effort sail over the wall, beating goalkeeper Mathew Ryan to find the net. The goal started a wild celebration, with Klinsmann letting out a roar with his arms raised.

Australia’s fightback efforts suffered a blow when Aiden O’Neill was sent off after a video assistant referee (VAR) review for a foul on Hwang, reducing Graham Arnold’s side to 10 men for the half of extra time where they could not. find an equal.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.