The settlement comes two months after a High Court judge ruled that Harry was the victim of phone hacking and other illegal media practices by Mirror Group Newspapers – publisher of the Mirror, Sunday Mirror and Sunday People. This matter went to court, with Harry giving evidence in the witness box – a very unusual thing for high-ranking royalty to do. Harry, Duke of Sussex, has spoken about how he found it difficult to trust anyone after journalists hacked his phone. In December, he received $179,600 in damages.
But that judgment only considered 33 out of 148 newspaper articles submitted, from 1996 to 2010.
The other 115 articles were not considered as part of this test – and Harry vowed to fight. His legal team said on Friday that the Mirror group had “finally conceded” the rest of his claim.
“Everything we said was happening at the Mirror group was happening, and indeed far worse, as the court ruled in its terrible judgment,” Harry said. in a statement read outside London’s High Court by his lawyer, David Sherborne.
Harry was not in London – he made a trip across the Atlantic to the United Kingdom earlier this week to see his father, King Charles III, following the royal’s surprise cancer diagnosis. He met Charles for less than an hour and reportedly did not meet his brother, Prince William. The British press had a field day, painting a picture of a divided family.
Sherborne said Harry won “substantial” damages, including an interim payment of $505,000 to be made in the next two weeks.
A spokesman for Mirror Group Newspapers said: “We are pleased to have come to this agreement, which gives our business more clarity to move on from events that took place many years ago and for which we have apologized .