Simone Halep: Former Wimbledon champion confident of tennis comeback after appeal against doping ban
Former world number one Simona Halep says she is confident of a return to tennis after the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) heard her appeal against a four-year doping ban.
Halep was suspended after an independent tribunal said she committed “deliberate” anti-doping violations.
The three-day audition for the former Wimbledon champion ended on Friday.
“I had a chance to show my defense and I really believe that the truth is going to come out,” said Halep.
Halep, 32, was banned in September by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) after two separate doping violations.
She tested positive for roxadustat after the 2022 US Open, while irregularities were also found in her Athlete Biological Passport, used to track biological variables – selected science over time, in a separate anti-doping violation that year.
Halep, who would not be able to play professional tennis until October 6, 2026 if the ban is upheld, maintains that she is innocent and has said that experts have found that she accidentally took contaminated material.
She has previously said the ban could end her career if upheld, and said she would fight to clear her name of “false allegations”.
Speaking to reporters outside Cas in Lausanne, Switzerland on Friday, she said: “The day to be in court is coming soon.”
Halep has blamed contaminated approved substances for her positive test at the US Open, and accused the ITIA of dismissing an ABP breach after the panel of experts assessed her learn the image of her identity.
Howard Jacobs, Halep’s lawyer, said that Cas had heard her arguments but it was not clear when the court will issue its ruling.
Halep, who won the French Open in 2018 and Wimbledon the following year, was ranked world number one in 2017 and 2018 and has earned £32.2m in prize money.