Super Mario Bros. Movie Score Opening
Enlightenment / Universality Super Mario Bros. made a spectacular splash at the box office this weekend, taking in an astronomical $146.36 million domestically over the 3-day weekend and a record $204.6 million over its first five days , each date. To put that into perspective, Illumination’s previous major opening was in 2015 Minuteswhich earned $115M domestically on its way to a $336 million domestic finish and $1.157 billion worldwide.
Worldwide, the picture earned the biggest opening for an animated flick with $377 million, beating Disney’s record Frozen II ($358.5 million) in 2019.
Imax accounted for 15% of Mario at total or global cume of $21.6M, the highest opening of all time for an animated film. With an A CinemaScore, it will be interesting to see how this one fares in the coming weeks, especially without much competition from outside family films Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 on May 5th.
Ben Affleck Airwith Matt Damon, also exceeded expectations, bringing in $20.2 million at home in its first weekend, proving that adults still go to the movies.
If not, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves $14.5M total in its second weekend (a 61% drop, which is a shame because it’s a lot of fun) to bring its domestic total to $61.1M. At the same time, John Wick: Chapter 4 took the No. 2 spot with another $14.6M (-48%) to increase its cume to $147M after three weeks. The Keanu Reeves action flick is less than $25M away from breaking even Chapter 3 domestic total ($171M) and about $60M from crossing the worldwide route ($327M).
Box Office Results: Domestic Top 10
- The new movie Super Mario Bros (Ill/Uni) 4,343 theaters, Wed $31.7M Th $26.5M Fri $54.8M Sat $56.87M Sun 3-day $146.36m, 5 days $204.6M/Sq 1
- John Wick: Chapter 4 (LG) 3,607 (-248) theaters, Fri $4.8M (-39%), Sat $5.9M Sun $3.8M 3-day $14.6M (-48%), Total $147 million/ WC 3
- Dungeons & Dragons (Par/eOne) 3,856 theaters, Fri $4.85M (-68%), Sat $5.8M Sun $3.85M 3-day $14.5M (-61%), Total $62.2M/ WC 2
- Air (Amazon) 3,507 theaters, Wed $3.2M Thu $2.4M Fri $5M Sat $5.8M Sun $3.5M 3-day $14.46M5 days $20.2M/Sq 1
- Scream VI (Par) 2,286 theaters (-156), Fri $1.2M (-20%) Sat $1.37M Sun $690K 3-day $3.31 million (-38%), Total $103.8M/ WC 5
- His Only Son (Angel) 1,930 theaters, Fri $1M, Sat $1.25M Sun $1M 3-day $3.25M (-41%), Total $11m/ WC 2
- Creed III (MGM) 2,002 theaters (-825), Fri $1M (+112%) Sat $1.1M Sun $681K 3-day $2.8M (-44%), Total $153.2M/ WC 6
- Shazam! Fury of the Gods (WB) 2,203 (-1,248) theaters, Fri $600K (-50%) Sat $600K Sun $400K 3-day $1.6M (-65%), Total $56.6M/Sq 4
- Painting (IFC) 819 theaters, Fri $293K, 3-day $750K/Toilet 1
- A Thousand in One (Foc) 926 theaters Fri $200K Sat $240K, Sun $160K 3-day $600K (-66%), Total $2.9M / WC 2